A contentious call scuppered Manly Sea Eagles as they came up short against Parramatta Eels, while Cronulla Sharks won at last.

Sea Eagles denied by forward pass as Ramien leads Sharks to first win

A controversial refereeing call denied Manly Sea Eagles a comeback victory over Parramatta Eels on Saturday.

Tom Trbojevic looked to have set up Reuben Garrick for a late try that would have given the Sea Eagles a dramatic victory at Bankwest Stadium.

However, the visitors - who had been 18-2 down in the second half - were undone when the officials ruled Trbojevic's tipped-on pass had strayed forward, allowing the Eels to see out a 19-16 win.

Tries from Michael Jennings and Dylan Brown and a further four points from the boot of Mitchell Moses had put Parramatta 12-2 up at half-time.

Kane Evans scored just after the restart to put the home side in control, but Jorge Taufua went over just three minutes later to offer hope of a comeback.

A one-pointer from Moses gave the Eels some breathing room after Dylan Walker's try, but a second from Taufua set up a tense finale.

Trbojevic's clever pass under pressure to Garrick sent the winger through for what looked to be the match-winning try, only for the officials to intervene, ensuring the leaders made it four wins from four to mark their best league start in 31 years.

Speaking to Fox after his side's 19-16 defeat, Trbojevic said: "I thought I threw it back. I didn't get to see too much of it. You get those ones, [it is a] disappointing one, but that's footy, I guess."

The late match saw Cronulla Sharks beat North Queensland Cowboys 26-16 in an engrossing encounter in Townsville.

There were three tries in eight first-half minutes as the Sharks took a 12-6 lead into the break, before Kyle Feldt and Ronaldo Mulitalo each scored their second of the game either side of a breakaway score from the outstanding Jesse Ramien.

Briton Nikora touched down on the hour mark to ease the Sharks further ahead and they held firm during a scrappy closing quarter to claim their first victory of the season.

Super League matches called off

Snow leads to Super League postponements

Three Super League matches which were due to take place on Thursday and Friday have been called off or put back.

Smith undecided over future

Storm skipper Smith undecided over future

Cameron Smith is in no rush to decide whether he will play on in 2019 ahead of the new NRL season.

Wigan rally to beat Widnes

Wigan fight back to beat Widnes, two sent off as Hull defeat Warrington

Rampant Wigan Warriors scored six second-half tries to beat Widnes Vikings, while Warrington lost at Hull FC.

Thurston's Cowboys up and running

Thurston's Cowboys up and running, Pearce enjoys dream Knights debut

Johnathan Thurston made his 300th NRL appearance and a record-breaking 271st for the Cowboys as they beat the Sharks on Friday.

Percival shines in Saints win

Percival treble ensures Saints stay perfect

St Helens rolled on in their impressive start to the Super League season, with Mark Percival starring against Warrington Wolves.